Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Why I dislike the Delta at Logan

It’s a balmy (60 in Boston mid-December) mostly cloudy day at Logan Airport. Even though, the nation’s grid looks awful, the air channels between Boston and Cincinnati are clear and all looks good to go. As I step up to the baggage drop, I have a bright smile on my face having just finished my exams ready to embark on a month-long break. However, Delta quickly swiped the smile off my face when my large suitcase came in at 53 pounds. After some shuffling, I was able to the bag down to 49, and I though I was off on my way.

As I approached TSA, I had my carry-on and backpack in hand. The bored TSA attendant noticed that my carry-on was way over the legal limit. I argued my case on length and the fact that I was flying Comair (Delta Connection) so they would pink tag it anyways. He felt sympathetic, but he had to obey the law, since my bag did not even come close on the width requirement. By the way, I had carried on the same bag from Boston to San Francisco on American and managed to get a gate check. So, it was back to the Delta counter for me.

I am traveling on a miles ticket from my dad’s account (he’s in the million-mile club and platinum medallion), so I figured they would be light on any fees. Since his status had got me the first bag for free, the laid the push in the second bag. At first glance, they said it would be $25, and I gave them a look, which caused them to look up the structure. That was an incredibly stupid move on my part since now I was looking at the true fee of $50. Luckily, I was able to contain my emotions to some nasty looks and some quiet expletives under my breath.

After that, flying to Cincy, has been a breeze. Aboard flight 6678, the flight attendants are great as they usually are with Comair, and they have the best peanuts, but the bags are tiny, so I always snatch two bags. At least the peanuts and drinks are still included, but that may not last long. With empty seat next to me, the longest sunset ever (due to the westbound flight at the beginning of the sunset), I guess my moaning about Delta needs to be limited to Logan employees and upper management. Somehow, I’ll be back flying Delta again in less than 96 hours down to West Palm Beach, which is suddenly a much poorer city due to today’s economic scandal. In the meanwhile, I’ll be writing about my stories in Cincy, which will surely be interesting in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment